Tuesday 17 March 2009

The most dangerous cake recipe

Although I try to be healthy most of the time, sometimes what one really needs is chocolate. Lots of it. In the form of rich, gooey cake. And here is the perfect, quick recipe!

I was hesitant to bake a cake in the microwave, but I don't own an oven so sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures. Anyway, it is so delicious that you wouldn't guess it was cooked in the microwave. Don't believe me? The proof is in the pudding!

At this stage I'd like to send out a big thank you to Danica Gallagher for sharing this recipe with me (I'll be sending you the Jenny Craig bill shortly).

This is what you need:

4 tablespoons flour

4 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 egg

3 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons oil

3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

a small splash of vanilla extract

First, put the dry ingredients into a bowl. Attack it with a wire whisk for a moment or so; this will break up any lumpy bits and it's quicker and easier than sifting.

Next, add all the wet ingredients and whisk again until the batter is combined and there are no lumps.

Finally, stir in the chocolate chips with a spoon (if using).

cake batterNow, pour the batter into a microwave safe dish of your choosing. The original recipe states that you can use a large coffee mug. I chose to use a small ramekin, which I greased with butter to be on the safe side, because I didn't want it to stick!


uncooked cakeAs you can see from the photo on the right, the batter came right to the top of the ramekin. I was concerned about mess in the microwave, but it turned out alright!

Microwave for about 3 minutes for a 1000W oven or 4 minutes for a 650W oven. The cake will rise, but don't be alarmed! To test if it is done, insert a dry piece of spaghetti (or a skewer) into the middle. It should come out clean. If it comes out with batter on it, pop in the microwave for a little longer.

cooked cake

And this is what it looks like when it comes out of the microwave.





This is enough to feed two. In fact, this cake is VERY rich, so it is best served with cream (my choice) or ice cream. My cake was especially rich because I used good quality cocoa and dark chocolate chips. You could definitely leave out the chocolate chips, in my opinion, to lighten this up a little.

I think it's nice to decorate the cake with some chocolate shavings. You can make these by shaving a chocolate bar with a vegetable peeler.

Why is it the most dangerous cake recipe? Because now we can have one of the world's most fattening desserts in less than 5 minutes!

the finished product

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HAHAH That's awesome Mel.
I'm so glad it worked out.

I must admit I have only made it once more since my initial attempt and that was only because I was sick and wanted a little bit of cake.

I agree with the cream comments, it definitely needs something to break it up a bit.