Thursday 29 January 2009

A perfectly comely steak

Whenever I come across a nice piece of steak that's on sale, I grab it. Because steak (or ステーキ as it is known in Japan) is kind of on the pricey side here!

Here's the Comely Cuisine guide to cooking a perfect steak:

First, get your frying pan/grill/hot plate very HOT.

Second, season the steak with pepper but NOT salt, at this stage.

Next, oil the pan and slap on the meat. You want to hear a fierce "sizzle" but don't get too carried away.

After a minute or so, turn over the meat and turn down the heat a little. Now, you can season the "sealed" side with some salt.

I like to turn it just once more to achieve the perfect medium cooked steak (this is for a relatively thin steak. A thick one will obviously need more time). Again, season the other sealed side with salt.

Now, remove it from the pan and place on a warm plate, cover with foil, and leave it to rest for about five minutes before you cut it or eat it.

I think it's a shame to take a tasty piece of meat and smother it with sauce. My favourite thing to serve on steak is some capsicum, onion and bacon which has been fried in a little olive oil until nice and soft. A few cherry tomatoes don't go astray, either. Gosh, I'm glad I'm a carnivore!

Steak

No comments: