Thursday 22 January 2009

Szechuan Chicken Stir-Fry

Szechuan Chicken Stir-Fry
Take a look at that yummy Szechuan stir-fry. It looks pretty appealing, huh? I love the mix of bright colours, and the lure of sweat-inducing chillis.

Well, if you are like me, and you've indulged a little too much over the Christmas and New Year period, perhaps it's time to introduce some new, healthy recipes to your repertoire. Stir-fry is always a winner in the health stakes, and this is an idea that is simple, easy and a bit different.

For this recipe, I employ the use of a packet spice mix. I often turn my nose up at such things, but this one is actually pretty good and I wouldn't know how to make it from scratch. So, get your hands on this little baby and you're only a few easy steps away from chowing down some Szechuan goodness.

All you have to do is chop up some chicken breast and put it into a plastic zip-lock bag or freezer bag. Then, add the spice paste, about a teaspoon of cornstarch and a little oil, and seal the bag shut. Then, make sure everything is evenly coated in leave it to marinate for about 20 minutes or so.

Then, just stir fry the chicken along with your choice of vegies, add a splash of dry sherry or Chinese cooking wine, and perhaps a bit of water or chicken stock if you want it a bit more saucy. Also, you might like to add some extra chilli because the spice mix isn't all that hot. I don't mind a few nuts thrown in, too.

Serve it on some rice and dig in to some guilt-free deliciousness!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Thanks Kaylee! I'm glad that you've enjoyed reading this blog. I enjoy writing it! (Not to mention, eating all the things I make.)