Saturday 15 November 2008

My take on the burrito

Here's another meal I like to whip up using this little beauty:


Chicken Burrito

I call this a "burrito", even though I'm sure it doesn't even resemble an authentic burrito! Here's what I do.

I take two chicken breasts (skin off) and slice them about 2cm thick across the grain. Then, I brown the slices in a tiny bit of oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Once the chicken is sealed, I give it a liberal coating of the taco seasoning on both sides of the chicken, and continue cooking it for a minute. Then, I add a little water, about half a cup. At this time, I sometimes add some sliced capsicum and perhaps some cannelini beans, red kidney beans, or anything I feel like. I continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has reduced to a thick consistency.

Meanwhile, I take out my stash of tortillas from the freezer, and freshen them by chucking them in the toaster oven, one at a time.

Now, you can just build your burrito as you like! I firstly put some grated cheese, then top with the chicken mixture, salsa, lettuce, tomato, grated carrot, and anything else yummy that's lurking in the fridge. There's enough chicken for about 3 or 4 burritos.

This is budget, healthy, quick and tasty - it ticks all the boxes!

Old El Paso Taco Seasoning

No comments: